The 359-acre Renken Ranch is the last remaining parcel (for sale) of the original 20,000 acre Decker Ranch, which was established in 1846. The Deckers, of German descent, were sponsored by Henry Castro, the Spanish empresario who founded Castroville. The family still has the original deeds for the property from the Republic of Texas. This historical ranch is located only 5.5 miles north of Hondo on State Hwy 173. Stone was quarried from the ranch for the construction of Medina County Courthouse in 1893 and again in 1942.
TOPOGRAPHY: Approximately 75 acres on the east portion of the ranch is dry farmland and is completely fenced. The land is level to gently rolling, and seasonal Verde Creek runs through it. A quarry is located in the near the southern boundary of the property. A wet weather slough empties into a small, clay-lined tank below the quarry that could be enlarged.
BRUSH: The ranch has black brush, mesquite, persimmon, albino and native mountain laurel, hackberry, and purple elm. There are massive oak trees growing throughout the ranch, with the largest oak motts at the back of the property along the western boundary. Sycamore trees are located all along Verde Creek, which may indicate subterranean springs that could be made into water features. There is plentiful coastal bermuda and buffel grass for grazing.
WATER: An Edwards well, approximately 316' deep, pump depth of 294', and a static water level of 214'. A concrete trough is beside it.
IMPROVEMENTS: The ranch has a great network of roads, allowing access throughout the entire property. It is completely perimeter fenced, with low fencing on three sides, and the west side is mostly high fenced. There is cross fencing to separate the farmland (on the eastern end) from the remainder of the ranch. Upon request, owners will furnish names of those interested in leasing the farmland. An all-metal pole barn provides an area for hay, ATVs, or a small airplane (which was once housed there). A